Chatham Historic Dockyard Railway
FH3738/1955, 4wDM, "ROCHESTER CASTLE"
Standing outside the new shed.

"ROCHESTER CASTLE" was built by F.C.Hibberd & Co.Ltd. and delivered new to Chatham. "ROCHESTER CASTLE" was the first of 6 diesel locomotives ordered by the Admirality to replace their ageing steam locomotives. It worked at Chatham until the closure of the dockyard in 1984. After the closure, the locomotive was placed in secure storage until the opening of the Historic Dockyard in 1985. The locomotive is still kept in working order and can be seen working within the Historic Dockyard.

During Admiralty ownership, the loco carried the Yard No. 562.

Photograph © N Short 2011;

Website Design & Hosting by MANS Data Services Ltd | © CHDR 2011