Chatham Historic Dockyard Railway
This section is still under construction, if you have any information relating to any of the locomotives, please do get in touch, we would love to hear from you.
School of Military Engineering, Admiralty
"BURGOYNE", 0-4-0ST, MW448/1873

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co.Ltd. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatched to Chatham Dockyard on the 24th March 1873. Although this locomotive was recorded by Manning Wardle as at "Admirality Chatham Dockyard", the locomotive was originally used on the Lodge Hill & Upnor Railway. The Lodge Hill & Upnor Railway was laid in 1873 to 18in gauge as a training exercise for the Royal School of Military Engineering, and served the construction of the Chattenden & Upnor Ralway. In 1885, the line was re-gauged to 2ft 6in, and the locomotive subsequently used on the Internal Railway System.

Experimental Handyside Engines

These locomotives were built by Fox, Walker & Co. at their Atlas Engine Works, Bristol, and delivered new to Chatham. Two years after these locomotives were built, Fox, Walker & Co. was aquired by Thomas Peckett and became the well known concern of Peckett & Sons.

  • 2-4-2T, FW399/1878
  • 2-4-2T, FW400/1878
  • 2-4-2T, FW401/1878
  • 2-4-2T, FW402/1878
  • 2-4-2T, FW403/1878
  • 2-4-2T, FW404/1878

This design was intended for use in trenches during wartime hostilities overseas. They saw use at Chatham on works trains in connection with construction of the Chatham Fortifications Line between 1880-1884. One of the Fox Walker locomotives,number unknown was transferred, circa 1900, to the Royal Arsenal Railway, Woolwich and had been scrapped by 1924. No records exist as to the fate of the rest of the Fox, Walker locomotives.



Chatham Fortifications Railway
"IRON DUKE", 0-4-0ST, VF838/1878

This locomotive was built by the Vulcan Foundry Co. Ltd. at their Newton-Ie-Willows Works and delivered new to the Royal Arsenal Railway, Woolwich in 1878.

Circa. 1880, the locomotive was transferred to Chatham Dockyard for use on the Chatham Fortification Railway.

The locomotive was scrapped in 1914.

"VULCAN", 0-4-2WT, VF989/1883

This locomotive was built by the Vulcan Foundry Co. Ltd. at their Newton-Ie-Willows Works and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1883, for use on the Chatham Fortification Railway.

After being declared surplus to Royal Engineers requirements after the faHure of the SaukinBerber Railway project, the locomotive was scrapped circa. 1897.

"MERCURY", 0-4-2WT, VF1075/1884

This locomotive was built by the Vulcan Foundry Co. Ltd. at their Newton-Ie-Willows Works and delivered new to the Royal Arsenal Railway, Woolwich in 1884.

In 1885, the locomotive was transferred to Chatham Dockyard for use on the Chatham Fortification Railway.

The fate of this locomotive is unknown, it is only recorded as Sold / Scrapped.

"MARS", 0-4-2WT, VF1160/18885

This locomotive was built by the Vulcan Foundry Co. Ltd. at their Newton-Le-Willows Works and delivered new to the Royal Arsenal Railway, Woolwich in 1885. Circa. 1900, the locomotive was transferred to Chatham Dockyard for use on the Chatham Fortification Railway.

In 1906, the locomotive was transferred to the Woolmer Instructional Military Railway ( later Longmoor Military Railway].

The locomotive was withdrawn in 1919 and scrapped between 1924 and April 1930.

"VENUS", 0-4-2WT, VF1161/1885

This locomotive was built by the Vulcan Foundry Co. Ltd. at their Newton-Ie-Willows Works and delivered new to the Royal Arsenal RaHway, Woolwich in 1885.

Circa. 1900, the locomotive was transferred to Chatham Dockyard for use on the Chatham Fortification Railway.

In 1906, the locomotive was transfe.-red to the Woolmer Instructional Military Railway [later Longmoor Military Railway].

The locomotive was scrapped in 1907.

"FLAMINGO", 0-4-2T, JF5062/1885

This locomotive was built by John Fowler & Co. Ltd. at their Steam Plough Works, Leeds in 1885 for the Saukin-Berber Campaign and never delivered.

It was delivered new to the Royal Arsenal Railway, Woolwich in 1885.

Circa. 1896, the locomotive was transferred to the Royal Engineers at Chatham, for use on the Chatham Fortification Railway.

In 1906, the locomotive was transferred to the Woolmer Instructional Military Railway [later Longmoor Military Railway].

The locomotive was withdrawn and scrapped in March 1919.



Internal Railway System
"LORD RAGLAN", 0-4-0ST, MW353/1871

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co. Ltd. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatched new to the Royal Arsenal Railway, Woolwich on the 9th March 1871, where it was named "LORD RAGLAN" after Lord Raglan [British Army] who was Master-General to the Ordnance.

The locomotive was later [date unknown] transferred to Chatham Dockyard.

Although listed by Manning, Wardle as at "Admiralty Chatham", the locomotive is thought to have worked on the 18in. gauge Lodge HiD & Upnor Railway until 1885 when the line was regauged to 2ft. 6in., the locomotive was then transferred to Chatham Dockyard for use on the internal railway system.

The fate of this locomotive is unknown, it is only recorded as Sold / Scrapped.

"TRAFALGAR", 0-4-0ST, MW386/1871

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co. Ltd. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatched new to Chatham Dockyard on the 6th December 1871.

Although listed by Manning, Wardle as at "Admiralty Chatham", the locomotive is thought to have worked on the 18in gauge Lodge HiD & Upnor Railway until 1885 when the line was regauged to 2ft. 6in., the locomotive was then transferred to Chatham Dockyard for use on the internal railway system.

The locomotive was advertised for sale in 'Surplus' for 15th August 1921, the precise scrapping date of this locomotive is unknown.

"BUSY BEE", 0-4-0ST, MW424/1872

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co. Ltd. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatched new to Chatham Dockyard on the 4th December 1872.

Although listed by Manning, Wardle as at "Admiralty Chatham", the locomotive is thought to have worked on the 18in gauge Lodge Hill & Upnor Railway until 1885 when the line was regauged to 2ft. 6in., the locomotive was then transferred to Chatham Dockyard for use on the internal railway system.

The fate of this locomotive is unknown, it is only recorded as Sold / Scrapped.

"FIDGET", 0-4-0ST, MW506/1874

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co. Ltd. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatched new to Chatham Dockyard on the 13th April 1874.

Although listed by Manning, Wardle as at "Admiralty Chatham", the locomotive is thought to have worked on the 18in. gauge Lodge HilI & Upnor Railway until 1885 when the line was regauged to 2ft. 6in., the locomotive was then transferred to Chatham Dockyard for use on the internal railway system.

The fate of this locomotive is unknown, it is only recorded as Sold / Scrapped.

"COMET", 0-4-0ST, MW910/1883

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co.Ltd. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatched new to Chatham Dockyard on the 21st March 1883 for use on the internal railway system.

The fate of this locomotive is unknown, it is only recorded as Sold / Scrapped.

"AQUEBUS", 0-4-0ST, MW1130/1889

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatched to the Royal Arsenal Railway, Woolwich on the 23rd March 1889. The locomotive was later transferred to Chatham Dockyard. It was advertised for sale in The Engineer, Surplus and Contract Journal during July 1919 and sold to J.F.Wake, Geneva Engineering Works Darlington. The locomotive was reported as still on site on the 27th June 1923.

"KHARTOUM", 0-4-0ST, MW1429/1899

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co. Ltd. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatched new to Chatham Dockyard on the 2nd February 1899 for use on the internal railway system.

The locomotive was involved in a collision with a standard gauge locomotive in May 1908 and sustained serious front end damage as a result.

Surviving records do not indicate whether the locomotive was scrapped or rebuilt following the accident.

"PROMPT No.1", 0-4-0ST, MW1430/1899

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co. Ltd. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatched new to Chatham Dockyard on the 2nd February 1899 for use on the internal railway system.

The locomotive was advertised for sale in 'Surplus' for 15th August 1921, the precise scrapping date of this locomotive is unknown.

"SUNBEAM", 0-4-0ST, MW1614/1903

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co. Ltd. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatched new to Chatham Dockyard on the 24th November 1903 for use on the internal railway system.

The locomotive is recorded as still officially extant in the 1949 General Services Section, Fixed Asset Register and it is probable the locomotive was out of service at the time of compilation of the register.

The final disposal date is not recorded in the register, it is thought the locomotive was disposed of shortly afterwards

"SHAMROCK", 0-4-0ST, MW1636/1904

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co. Ltd. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatChed new to Chatham Dockyard on the 2nd May 1904 for use on the internal railway system.

The fate of this locomotive is unknown, it is believed that the locomotive was disposed of during the 1920s, as this locomotive goes unmentioned in surviving Dockyard records.

"THISTLE", 0-4-0ST, DK26/1912

This locomotive was built by Dick, Kerr & Co. Ltd. at their Britannia Works, Kilmarnock and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1912 for use on the internal railway system.

The locomotive is recorded as still officially extant in the 1949 General Services Section, Fixed Asset Register and it is probable the locomotive was out of service at the time of compilation of the register.

The final disposal date is not recorded in the register, it is thought the locomotive was disposed of shortly afterwards.

"READY", 0-4-0ST, MW1808/1912

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co. Ltd. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatched new to Chatham Dockyard on the 8th February 1913 for use on the internal railway system.

The locomotive is recorded as still officially extant in the 1949 General Services Section, Fixed Asset Register and it is probable the locomotive was out of service at the time of compilation of the register.

The final disposal date is not recorded in the register, it is thought the locomotive was disposed of short1y afterwards.



Hornsby Akroyd Experimental Oil Mechanical Locomotive
Designed for Moving Explosives
"ALECTO", 2-4-0, RH7026/1904

This locomotive was built by R.Hornsby & Sons at their Grantham Works and delivered to Chatham Dockyard in 1904. It was transferred to the Royal Arsenal Railway, Woolwich, circa 1905. In 1919, the locomotive was sold to J.F.Wake, Geneva Engineering Works Darlington. It was recorded as still at Darlington in ecember 1927 and presumed scrapped shortly after.

Website Design & Hosting by MANS Data Services Ltd | © CHDR 2011