Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns Ltd.
0-4-0ST, Works No.7042, Built 1941.
Eight ships of the Royal Navy have been named H.M.S. AJAX.
Was a 74-gun, third rate ship of the line, designed by William Bateley and built at Portsmouth Dockyard and launched on the 23rd December 1767. It was sold out of service in 1785.
Was a Ajax class, 74-gun,third rate ship of the line, built by John Randall & Co. at Rotherhithe and launched on the Thames on the 3rd March 1798. The ship was lost to a distastrous fire on the 14th February 1807.
Was a 74-gun third rate ship of the line built by Perry of Blackwall Yard and launched on the 2nd May 1809. The ship was broken up in 1864.
Was a 78-gun, third rate ship of the line built by Pembroke Dockyard and launched on the 25th August 1835 as H.M.S. VANGUARD. In 1867 the ship was renamed H.M.S. AJAX. The ship was broken up in 1875.
Was the first of the two Ajax class ironclad battleships built by Nathaniel Barnaby at Pembroke Dockyard and launched on the 10th March 1880. The ship was broken up in 1904.
Was a King George V-class battleship, built by Scotts' Shipyard at Greenock on the River Clyde. It was launched on the 21st March 1912 and commissioned on the 31st October 1913. The ship was decommissioned in 1924 and sold for scrap on the 9th November 1926.
Was a Leander class light cruiser, built by Vickers Armstrong,in Barrow-in-Furness. It was launched on the 1st March 1934 and was commissioned on the 3rd June 1935. The ship was decommissioned in February 1948 and scrapped in 1949.
Was a Leander class frigate, built by Cammell Laird at Birkenhead. The ship was launched on the 16th August 1962 and commissioned on the 10th December 1963. It was decommissioed on the 31st May 1985 and scrapped at Millom, Cumbria on the 3rd August 1988.