R. & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd
0-4-0ST, Works No.3683, Built 1927
Eight ships of the Royal Navy have been named H.M.S. CENTAUR, named after the half-human, half-horse
Centaur of Greek mythology.
Was a 24-gun, sixth rate ship of the line, launched in 1746 and sold in 1761.
Was a 74-gun, ship of the line of the French Navy and named CENTAURE. The ship was captured by the Royal Navy at the Battle of Lagos on the 18th August 1759. The Royal Navy commissioned it as the third rate H.M.S.CENTAUR. The ship was lost in a severe gale near the Newfoundland Banks in September 1782.
Was a 74-gun, third rate ship of the line built at Woolwich Dockyard and launched on the 14th March 1797. It was broken up in 1819.
Was a wooden paddle frigate, launched in 1845 and scrapped in 1864.
Was to have been an Edgar class armoured cruiser, but was remnamed H.M.S. ROYAL ARTHUR in 1890, prior to its launch in 1891.
Was a C-class light cruiser built by Vickers Ltd. It was launched on the 6th January 1916 and commissioned in August 1916. In February 1934 the ship was sold to King's of Troon and scrapped on the 6th March 1934.
Was to have been a C-class destroyer, it was ordered in 1942, but was subsequently redesigned as a Weapon-class destroyer and renamed H.M.S. TOMAHAWK in 1943. It was eventually launched in 1946 as H.M.S. SCORPION.
Was the first of the four Centaur class light fleet carriers and was built by Harland & Wolff in Belfast. The ship was launched on the 22nd April 1947 and commissioned on the 1st September 1953. It was decommissioned in 1965 and scrapped in 1973.