R & W Hawthorn, Leslie & Co.Ltd. 0-4-0ST, Works No.2450, Built 1899.
Eight ships of the Royal Navy are known to have been named H.M.S. NEWCASTLE, after the city of Newcastle.
Was a 44-gun, fourth rate ship of the line built by Phineas Pett II at Ratcliffe on the River Thames and launched in May 1653. It was wrecked at Spithead in the great storm of 1703.
Was a 50-gun, fourth rate ship of the line, built by Allin at Sheerness Dockyard and launched on the 10th March 1704. On the 31st May 1728, it was taken to pieces and rebuilt at Woolwich Dockyard, being relaunched on the 6th January 1732. The ship was broken up in 1746.
Was a 50-gun, fourth rate ship of the line, built by Portsmouth Dockyard and launched on the 4th December 1750. The ship was lost when it foundered during a cyclone in 1761.
Was a 60-gun, fourth rate ship of the line, launched in 1813. It was converted to harbour service in 1824 and sold out of service in 1850.
Was a Immortaltite class, wooden screw frigate, built by Deptford Dockyard. It was laid down on the 6th December 1858, launched 16th October 1860 and completed in September 1874. The ship was decommissioned in 1888 and sold for breaking up in 1929.
Was a Town class light cruiser, built by Armstrong Whitworth. It was laid down on the 14th April 1909, launched 25th November 1909 and completed in September 1910. On the 9th May 1921, it was sold for scrapping and broken up on the 3rd May 1923.
Was a Town class light cruiser, built by Vickers Armstrong. It was laid down as H.M.S. MINOTAUR, on the 4th October 1934, but renamed H.M.S. NEWCASTLE prior to being launched on the 23rd January 1936. The ship was broken up in 1958.
Was a Type 42 [Batch 1] destroyer, built by Swan Hunter. It was laid down on the 21st February 1973, launched 24th April 1975 and commissioned on the 23rd March 1978. The ship was decommissioned on the 1st February 2005. On the 21st November 2008,the ship was sold and towed from Portsmouth to Turkey to be broken up.