This locomotive was one of a batch of 6 locomotives built by Dubs & Co [Works No.889] at their Queens Park Works, Polmandie Glasgow and purchased by the London, Chatham & Dover Railway in February 1876 at a cost of £2,675.
When new, the locomotive was allocated to Battersea Shed. During May 1876, it was used on a series of trials between London & Dover. After the formation of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway in 1899, the locomotive became S.E.C.R. No.597.
In March 1902, the locomotive entered Longhedge Works to receive new 18in cylinders and to be reboilered with a Kirtley pattern boiler at a cost of £538.
During 1901, the locomotive was transferred to New Brompton Shed [Gillingham, Kent] for shunting the sidings at Rochester and working the twice daily freight service between Rochester Sidings and Chatham Dockyard, also to provided assistance with movements within the Dockyard when required, until being withdrawn from service in October 1913.