Chatham Historic Dockyard Railway

Aveling & Porter Tramway Locomotives

The locomotives were built by Aveling & Porter Ltd.at their Rochester Works, Kent and supplied between 1865 and 1874.

  • 2-2-0TG, AP129/1865
  • 2-2-0TG, AP182/1866
  • 2-2-0TG, AP218/1866
Aveling and Porters records show the three Admirality locomotives, Works No.s 129, 182 & 218, as going to or ordered by Chatham Dockyard, it seems probable that two [numbers unknown] were delivered directly elsewhere. One to Portsmouth Dockyard and one to Devonport Dockyard.
  • 2-2-0TG,AP718/1871
  • 2-2-0TG,AP719/1871
  • 2-2-0TG,AP1023/1874
Although recorded as at Chatham Dockyard, the above locomotives worked on the Lodge Hill & Upnor Railway.



Standard Gauge Steam Locomotives
"ROYAL ENGINEER", 0-4-0ST, MW602/1876

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co. Ltd. at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and dispatched new to W, D. Lodge Hill & Upnor Railway on the 21st March 1876. The locomotive worked on the standard gauge section of the Lodge Hill & Upnor Railway until the line was regauged to 2ft. 6in. and the locomotive was transferred to Chatham Dockyard. The locomotive was sold circa. 1892, to contractor William Rigby, Erith, who used the locomotive on the following contracts;

[1] Contract for the South Eastern Railway [ 1891 -1895 ], constructing the Bexleyheath Line between BIackheath and Crayford Creek Junction, Kent.

[2] Contract for the South Eastern & Chatham Railway [ 1902 -1911 ], constructing the new freight sidings at Hither Green, London.

After the completion of the Hither Green contract, the locomotive was advertised for sale on the 23rd May 1911.

The fate of this locomotive is unknown, it is only recorded as Sold / Scrapped.

"VULCAN", 0-4-0ST, SS3419/1888

This locomotive was built by Sharp, Stewart & Co. Ltd. at their Atlas Works, Springburn, Glasgow and delivered new to the Royal Arsenal Railway, Woolwich in 1888.

The locomotive was later [date unknown] transferred to the Admiralty, Chatham Dockyard.

The locomotive worked at Chatham until 1934, when it was sold to an unknown buyer.

By 1938, the locomotive had been sold to Cudworth & Johnson, Wrexham, North Wales.

In October 1938, the locomotive was hired to Gresford [ Acton Grange ] Colliery, but by February 1939, the locomotive had been returned to Cudworth & Johnson off hire.

Circa. 1940, the locomotive was sold to Joseph Perrin & Son Ltd., with the locomotive having arrived at their Birkenhead Docks site by March 1943.

The locomotive was scrapped at Birkenhead in August 1952.

"NEWCASTLE", 0-4-0ST, HL2450/1899 Yard No.14

This locomotive was built by R. & W. Hawthorn Leslie & Co. Ltd. at their Forth Bank Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1899.

The locomotive spent all its working life at Chatham until October 1957 when the locomotive was sold to Thomas Ward Ltd. [dealers].

Circa. 1958, the locomotive was sold to J. W. Hardwick & Sons, Contractors, West Ewell, Surrey.

Circa. 1971, the locomotive was sold to W. Lees, Farncombe, Goldalming for preservation. The locomotive is now part of the Hollycombe Park Steam Collection, Liphook, Hampshire.

"EXPRESS", 0-4-0ST, HL2564//1903 Yard No.17

This locomotive was built by R. & W. Hawthorn Leslie & Co. Ltd. at their Forth Bank Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1903.

The locomotive spent all its working life at Chatham until being withdrawn from service and scrapped on site by George Cohen, Sons & Co. in October 1955.

"HERCULES", 0-4-0CT, HL2771/1909

This locomotive was built by R. & W. Hawthorn Leslie & Co. Ltd. at their Forth Bank Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne as a 0-4-0 Cmne Tank and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1909.

This locomotive was later [date unknown], rebuilt as an 0-4-0T and spent the rest of its working life at Chatham until being withdrawn from service and scrapped [date unknown].

"KENT", 0-4-0ST, HL2807/1909 Yard No.21

This locomotive was built by R. & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. at their Forth Bank Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1909.

The locomotive spent all is working life at Chatham until being withdrawn from service and scrapped on site by George Cohen, Sons & Co. in October 1955.

"SUSSEX", 0-4-0ST, HL2876/1911 Yard No.22

This locomotive was built by R. & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. at their Forth Bank Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1911.

The locomotive spent all its working life at Chatham until being withdrawn from service and scrapped on site by George Cohen, Sons & Co. in October 1955.

"DEVON", 0-4-0ST, AB1286/1914 Yard No.27

This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. Ltd. at their Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock, Scotland and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1914.

In October 1949, the locomotive was sold to Abelson, [Locomotive Dealers] of Sheldon, Derbyshire, with the locomotive being delivered to their Binningham Yard.

The locomotive was hired to the following locations;

British Cellophane, Bridgewater, Somerset, 1950, returned off hire April 1951.

Southook Shawcross Fireclay, Boutree Hill Fireclay Works, Derhorn, Ayrshire, 1952.

In 1960, the locomotive was sold for scrap to an unknown finn in Lanarkshire.

"CORNWALL", 0-4-0ST, AB1386/1914 Yard No.28

This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay & Sons & Co. Ud. at their Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock, Scotland and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1914.

In October 1949, the locomotive was sold to Abelson, [Locomotive DealersI of Sheldon, Derbyshire, with the locomotive being delivered to their Birmingham Yard.

The locomoth'e was hired to the following locations;

N.C.B. Bank Hall COlliery, 1950.

Shaws Glazed Brick Co., Darwen. 1951.

Chesterfield Tube Co. 1951.

Enderby & Stoney Stanton G.'anite Co. Enderby Quarries, 1952.

Albright & Wilson, Oldbury, 1954.

N.C.B.O.E. Halbergham Disposal Point, Burnley, 1954.

Tarmac, Screening & Wagon Repairs, Rose Grove. 1954.

The fate of this locomotive is unknown, it is only recorded as Sold JScrnpped.

"CENTAUR", 0-4-0ST, HL3683/1927 Yard No.2

This locomotive was built by R. & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. at their Forth Bank Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1927.

The locomotive spent all its working life at Chatham and was withdrawn from service in 1956.

Circa. 1958, the locomotive was sold to B. R. T. Securities, Earles Colne Airfield, Essex.

The fate of this locomotive is unknown, it is only recorded as Sold / Scrapped.

"ATLAS", 0-4-0ST, HL3803/1932 Yard No.29

This locomotive was built by R. & \V. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. at their Forth Bank Works, NewcastIe-upon-Tyne and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1932.

The locomotive spent all its working life at Chatham before being withdrawn from service and scrapped in March 1957.

"TITAN", 0-4-0ST, HL3807/1934 Yard No.3

This locomotive was built by R. & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. at their Forth Bank Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1934.

The locomotive spent all its working life at Chatham until being withdrawn from service in 1956, and sold for scrap in 1957.

"GOLIATH", 0-4-0ST, HL3863/1935 Yard No.5

This locomotive was built by R. & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. at their Forth Bank Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and delivered new tQ Chatham Dockyard in 1935.

The locomotive spent all its working life at Chatham until being withdrawn from service in 1960 and scrapped in 1963.

"VULCAN", 0-4-0ST, VF1399/1893

This locomotive was built by the Vulcan Foundry Ltd. at their Newton-le-,ViIlows Works, Lancashire and delivered new to the Royal Arscnal Railway, Woolwich in 1893.

The locomotive was later [date unknownJ transferred to Chatham Dockyard.

The locomotive was sold [date unknownl to J. F. Wake Ilocomotive dealersl, Darlington, who rebuilt the locomotive before it was sent to the Sugar Corporation, Cantley, Norfolk.

The locomoti.ve was scrapped by A. King & Sons, Norwich, Circa. June 1951.

"SHOEBURYNESS", 0-6-0T, VF1436/1894

This locomotive was built by the VuJcan Foundry Ltd, at their Newton-Ie-Willows Works, Lancashire and delivered to W. D. Shoeburyness in 1894.

This locomotive was built as a 0-6-0 Crane Tan~ but later {date unknown) rebuilt as a 0-6-0T.

Circa. 1904, the locomotive was transferred to Chatham Dockyard.

The fate of this locomotive is unknown~ it is only recorded as Sold 1Scrapped.

"CHATHAM No.4", 0-6-0T, L.B.S.C.R No.78/1880

This locomotive was built by the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway at their Brighton Works in I880.

In 1918, the locomotive was declared surplus to .requirements and sold to the Admiralty, who sent the locomotive to worl, at the their lnvergordon Basc.

In 1919, the locomotive was transferred to W.D. Catterick Camp, for a short visit, before being transferred to Chatham Dockyard in 1920.

The locomotive spent the rest of its working life at Chatham until being withdrawn from service and scrapped in October 1933.

"RNCF No.4", MW1620/1903

This locomotive was built by Manning, Wardle & Co. Ltd at their Boyne Engine Works, Leeds and delivered new to the Gates & Hogg contract at Conisbrough, Yorkshire, where it was named CHAMPION.

The locomotive was sold [date unknown] to contractors Baldry & Yerburgh who used it on a contact at Selby, Yorkshire.

The locomotive was later [date unknown] sold to contractors Walter, Scott & Middleton and was one of five locomotives used on a contract for the Great Western / Great Central Joint Railway, constructing the section of line between Ashendon Junction and Aynho between 19061910.

Circa. 1917, the locomotive was sold to the Admiralty and moved to the Royal Naval Cordite Factory [ RNCF ], Holton Heath, Dorset, where it was named RNCF No.4.

In 1925, the locomotive was transferred to Chatham Dockyard, where it spent the rest of its working life until being withdrawn from service and scrapped in September 1932.

Sentinal, 4wVBT, S6994/1927

This 4wVBT power unit was built by the Sentinel Waggon Works Ltd, at their Battlefield Works, Shrewsbury as part of a steam railcar which was delivered new to the Jersey Eastern Railway in 1927, where it was named BRITTANY.

After the closure of the Jersey Eastern Railway in 1929, the power unit was purchased by A.O.Hill, Ltd. ship breakers, Admiralty Dockyard, Dover who returned it to England, where it was offered for sale and was purchased by the Admiralty who sent it to Chatham Dockyard.

On the 29th April 1932, the Admiralty advertised it for sale and it was purchased by George Cohen, Sons & Co. Ltd., Canning Town, London.

The locomotive having arrived at their Bidder Street site by 17th July 1933.

The locomotive was hired to the Canning Town Glass Works for a period of time [dates unknown] before being returned.

By the 28th February 1935, the locomotive had been sold to William Jones Ltd. of Greenwich, London, who rebuilt it with a steel body as a 0-4-0 geared shunting locomotive and was sold cheaply to J. S. Peters of the Merstham Lime Co. Ltd., where it was named DOM.

In 1946, following the end of rail traction at Merstham, the locomotive moved to the Standard Brick and Sand Co. Redhill, Surrey.

In June 1962, it moved again, this time to the Kent & East Sussex Railway, where it remained until March 1973 when it was sent to Aylesbury Scrap Metals, Griffin Lane, Aylesbury for

scrapping, with the locomotive being scrapped in April 1973.

More information is available here.

"DAISY", 0-4-0ST, HC308/1887

This locomotive was built by Hundswell Clark & Co. at their Jack Lane Works, Leeds and delivered new to the Pinxton Coal Company, Nottinghamshire, where it was named FRANK.

Circa. December 1896, the locomotive returned to Hudswell, Clarke & Co. Ltd. workshops for an overhaul, before going to the Holloway Brothers, [contractors], London on the 10th September 1897, where it was renamed DAISY.

The locomotive was used on a contract for the Admiralty, constructing the New Naval Barracks at Chatham Dockyard.

After the completion of the Chatham Dockyard contract, the locomotive was sold [date unknown] to the Royal Arsenal Railway, Woolwich.

The locomotive was later [date unknown] transferred to the Admiralty, Chatham Dockyard.

The fate of this locomotive is unknown, is only recorded as being Sold / Scrapped 1932.

"AJAX" 0-4-0ST RSH 7042/1941 Yard No.6, later Yard No.361

This locomotive was built by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns Ltd. at their Newcastle-upon-Tyne works and delivered new to Chatham in 1941.

The locomotive spent all its working life at Chatham until the Dockyard closed in 1984.

After the closure of the Dockyard, the locomotive was stored until the opening of the Historic Dockyard in 1985.

The locomotive is preserved at Chatham's Historic Dockyard and kept in working order.

"VEDAY" 0-4-0ST AB 2198/1945 Yard No.7, later Yard No.379

This locomotive was built by Andrew BarcIay, Sons & Co. Ltd. at their Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock, Scotland and was delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1945.

The locomotive spent all its working life at Chatham until being withdrawn from service and scrapped in July 1972.

"VICTORY" 0-4-0ST AB 2199/1945 Yard No.8, later Yard No.398

This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. Ltd. at their Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock, Scotland and was delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1945.

The locomotive spent aU its working life at Chatham until being withdrawn from service in 1968.

In August 1972, the locomotive was sold and moved to a scrapyard at Swanley, Kent.

The locomotive was purchased from the scrapyard and in October 1973, it moved to the South Eastern Steam Centre, Ashford, Kent.

On the 24th April 1978, the locomotive was moved to the Colne Valley Railway, Castle Hedingham, Essex.

In Mid 2012 the Locomotive moved to the Epping Ongar Railway.

"INVICTA" 0-4-0ST AB 2220/1946 Yard No.417

This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. Ltd. at their Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock, Scotland and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1946.

The locomotive spent aU its working life at Chatham until being withdrawn from service and sold to the lnvicta Locomotive Preservation Society in 1972.

On the 30th June 1972, the locomotive was moved to the Severn Valley Railway, Bridgenorth, Shropshire.

The locomotive was later [date unknown] transferred to the Chasewater Railway, for a period of time before moving [date unknown] to Long Marston.

In late 2009, the locomotive returned to Chatham Dockyard for restoration to working order.

"SINGAPORE" 0-4-0ST HL 3865/1936 Yard No.10

This locomotive was built by R. & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. at their Forth Banks Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and delivered new to the Admiralty in 1936 for use at Singapore Dockyard.

In December 1953, the locomotive returned to the U.K. and was sent to Chatham Dockyard, where it worked until being withdrawn from service in 1968.

In 1972, the locomotive was sold and moved to the South Eastern Steam Centre, Ashford, Kent in July 1973.

On the 25th October 1978, the locomotive was moved to the Market Overton Industrial Railway Association, Market Overton.

On the 21st December 1979, the locomotive was transferred to the Rutland Railway Museum, Cottesmore, Leicestershire.

On the 1st February 1992, the locomotive was moved to the Imperial War Museum's Duxford Aerodrome site, Duxford, Cambridgeshire

The locomotive returned to the Rutland Railway Museum in August 1995.

The locomotive is preserved at the Rutland Railway Museum and kept in working order.

LOCO No.1 0-4-0ST AB 1776/1922

This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. Ltd. at their Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock,Scotland in 1922 and delivered new to the Admiralty for use at Hong Kong Dockyard.

In early 1955, the locomotive returned to the U.K. and was sent to Chatham Dockyard for disposal.

It was scrapped at Chatham by George Cohen, Sons & Co. in October 1955.

LOCO No.2 0-4-0ST HL 3761/1929

This locomotive was built by R. & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. at their Forth Bank Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1929 and delivered new to the Admiralty for use at Hong Kong Dockyard.

In early 1955, the locomotive returned to the U.K. and was sent to Chatham Dockyard for disposal.

It was scrapped at Chatham by George Cohen, Sons & Co. in October 1955.



Standard Gauge Diesel Locomotives
"WALMER CASTLE, 0-4-0DE, AW D23/1933

This locomotive was built by Sir W. G. Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. [Engineers] Ltd. at their Scotswood Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1933.

This locomotive was delivered new to the Ministry of Defence, Army Department, Shoeburyness as a demonstration locomotive.

It was later [date unknown] transferred to the Gas Light & Coke Co. Beckton By-Products Works, London, as a demonstration locomotive.

In 1934, it was sold to the Admiralty who sent it to Chatham Dockyard, where it was named WALMER CASTLE.

The locomotive is recorded as being scrapped in March 1966.

"ROCHESTER CASTLE", 4wDM, FH3738/1955

This locomotive was built by F. C. Hibberd & Co. Ltd. at their Park Royal Works, London and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1955.

The locomotive worked at Chatham until the closure of the Dockyard in 1984.

After the closure of the Dockyard, the locomotive was stored until the opening of the Historic Dockyard in 1985.

The locomotive is preserved at Chatham's Historic Dockyard and kept in working order.

"UPNOR CASTLE", 4wDM, FH3742/1955

This locomotive was built by F. C. Hibberd & Co. Ltd. at their Park Royal Works, London and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1955.

The locomotive worked at Chatham until the closure of the Dockyard in 1984.

The locomotive is recorded as being scrapped on site in 1984.

"LEEDS CASTLE", 4wDM, FH3745/1955

This locomotive was built by F. C. Hibberd & Co. Ltd.at their Park Royal Works, London and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1955.

The locomotive worked at Chatham until the closure of the Dockyard in 1984.

The locomotive is recorded as being scrapped on site in 1984.

"DOVER CASTLE", 4wDM, FH3770/1955

This locomotive was built by F. C. Hibberd & Co. Ltd. at their Park Royal Works, London and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1955.

The locomotive worked at Chatham until the closure of the Dockyard in 1984.

The locomotive is recorded as being scrapped on site in 1984.

"COOLING CASTLE", 4wDM, FH3771/1955

This locomotive was built by F. C. Hibberd & Co. Ltd. at their Park Royal Works, London and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1955.

The locomotive worked at Chatham until the closure of the Dockyard in 1984.

The locomotive is recorded as being scrapped on site in 1984.

"DEAL CASTLE", 4wDM, FH3772/1955

This locomotive was built by F. C. Hibberd & Co. Ltd. at their Park Royal Works, London and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1955.

The locomotive worked at Chatham until the closure of the Dockyard in 1984.

The locomotive is recorded as being scrapped on site in 1984.

"CHILHAM CASTLE", 0-4-0DM, HE2076/1940

This locomotive was built by the Hunslet Engine Co. Ltd. at their Hunslet Engine Works, Hunslet, Leeds and delivered new to the Admiralty in 1940 for use at Sheerness Dockyard.

After the Government's announcement in 1958 that Sheerness Dockyard was to close in 1960, the locomotive was transferred to Chatham Dockyard in 1959, where it worked until being

withdrawn from service in 1968 and scrapped in October 1969.

"ALLINGTON CASTLE", 0-4-0DH, HE6975/1963

This locomotive was built by the Hunslet Engine Co. Ltd. at their Hunslet Engine Works, Hunslet, Leeds and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard in 1968.

The locomotive worked at Chatham until the closure of the Dockyard in 1984.

The locomotive was stored until the opening of the new commercial docks on the site of the old No.3 Basin.

The locomotive was used for shunting duties within the commercial docks until it was declared surplus to requirements, due to the reduction of rail-borne traffic from the docks.

The locomotive was sold and moved to the British Nuclear Fuels Site, Sellafield, Cumbria.

0-6-0DE, AW D57/1936

This locomotive was built by Sir W. G. Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. [Engineers] Ltd. at their Scotswood Works, Newcastle-upon Tyne and delivered new to the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in 1936, who allocated it the number 7062.

In October 1940, the locomotive was sold to the Ministry of Defence, who sent it to the Central Engineer Park, Long Marston, Warwickshire, where it was renumbered into the M.O.D. numbering scheme and al10cated the number WD 70215.

Circa. 1949, the locomotive was transferred to Chatham Dockyard for a period of time [dates unknown], before being returned to the M.O.D. at Long Marston.

In the M.O.D.s 1951 renumbering scheme, the locomotive became WD 882.

Circa. 1956, the locomotive was transferred to BOAR, WiUich, Germany.

Circa. 1959, the locomotive was sold in Germany and later, in October 1972, it was to be found at Hamm.

In May 1974, the locomotive was to be found at H. Gestring, AG Dortmund, scrapyard.

Website Design & Hosting by MANS Data Services Ltd | © CHDR 2011