Chatham Historic Dockyard Railway
Today's Railway

At its peak, it was estimated there was approximately 17 miles of standard gauge railway within the Dockyard. Today there is just under 1 mile of track remaining.

The remaining section, which is laid tramway style, starts from a point just outside the Historic Dockyard, adjacent to No.7 Slip, and then runs through the middle of the Historic Dockyard to the far end of Anchor Wharf. This section of line is used for the running of freight trains, steam crane demonstrations and other ancillary operations.

Today only 3 original standard gauge locomotives remain in the Historic Dockyard. These are;

  • Steam locomotive "AJAX", 0-4-0ST, [RSH7042] built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns Ltd. in 1941.
  • Steam locomotive "INVICTA", 0-4-0ST, [AB2220] built by Andrew Barcley, Sons & Co.Ltd in 1946.
  • 4wDM Diesel locomotive "ROCHESTER CASTLE" built by F.C.Hibberd & Co.Ltd. [FH3738] in 1955.

In addition to the 3 ex Dockyard locomotives, there are 3 steam and 2 diesel locomotives from other locations. These being;

  • Steam Tramway Geared Locomotive "SYDENHAM" 2-2-0TG, [AP3567] built by Aveling & Porter in 1895.
  • Steam locomotive "ACHILLES", 0-4-0ST, [HL2918] built by R. & W.Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. in 1912.
  • 0-4-0ST Steam locomotive built by Peckett & Sons Ltd. [P1906] in 1936.
  • 0-4-0DM Diesel locomotive "OVERLORD", built by Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. Ltd. [AB357/1941] in 1941.
  • 0-4-0DM Diesel locomotive "THALIA", built by Drewry/Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns [2503/7816] in 1954.

Website Design & Hosting by MANS Data Services Ltd | © CHDR 2011