Chatham Historic Dockyard Railway
The majority of the wagon fleet are of wooden construction and of pre-grouping origin but precise information on each wagon is not available, due to the builders plates having being removed in the past.

A programme of wagon restoration is ongoing.
Individual Wagons
The wagon fleet consists of the following individual vehicles:
  • London North Eastern Railway 10-ton box van which is still running on its original axleboxes.
  • London North Western Railway 10-ton box van, which is running on London Midland & Scottish Railway axleboxes.
  • London Brighton & South Coast Railway 10-ton box van, running on Southern Railway axleboxes.
  • Fife Coal Company 5-plank open wagon.
  • Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway 3-plank open wagon, running on Great Central Railway axleboxes.
  • Great Northern Railway 4-plank open wagon still running on its original axleboxes.
  • Midland Railway, 4-plank open wagon still running on its original axleboxes.
  • A pair of London Midland & Scottish Railway match-trucks still running on original axleboxes.
  • A Great Western Railway bogie well wagon, still running on its original axleboxes.
    • These wagons were built to special specifications for the Admiralty for use as mobile gun batteries.
    • During the First World War, this wagon was fitted with a 6-inch naval gun, but unfortunately after they had fired the gun a few times it had a tendency to bend the track!
    • During the Second World War this wagon was fitted with an anti-aircraft gun.
    • After the war the gun was removed and the wagon was used to move heavy loads around the dockyard.
  • 2 four-wheeled Admiralty tank wagons.
    • Built by Metropolitan Cammel Carriage & Wagon Co. Ltd. at their Midland Works in Birmingham in 1939.
    • These were used to convey lubricating oil between oil refineries and the different Admiralty installations.
  • Small 8-ton box van, of which no details of its origin are available. It has been an internal-use only wagon at the dockyard for some considerable time.
    • It is running on axleboxes marked Stapleford & Co. Coalville, near Leicester, dated 1896.
Website Design & Hosting by MANS Data Services Ltd | © CHDR 2011